Wednesday 20 May 2015

Imaginary Friend


We used to build sand castles together
I'd fetch the pail of water
Dave would take care of the structure
Birds of a feather, we flocked together
he wanted me by his side where ever he went
his dad never approved, but to Dave, I was God- sent
Dave's mom was more friendly though
She'd wait an extra second to let me in through the door
She never did make eye contact,
I wonder, was it beauty I lacked?
Dave and I made big plans
we shared secrets and held hands
He was my soulmate, My extra special friend
we promised each other a love with no end
Then
Dave changed
Dave grew up.
And even though I couldn't, and he knew,
there was absolutely nothing he could do
He let go of me like the stuff thrown out of the sea
I kept fading the older he grew
I watched him make friends, real ones, new.
with every new year, I was fading faster
until I was a mere shadow of dust
a steel heart turning to rust
It hurt, to see him tease kids who still believed in a friend like me
doesn't he know he was one of them, when he had me?
I don't have long, Dave let me go
I will fade soon, deteriorate into the blue
They say we get over our imaginary friends,
but have you ever wondered if your imaginary friend ever got over you?

No comments:

Post a Comment