Saturday 14 May 2016

A Whiff of Home


I'm laughing.
Cause once again,
my feet are glued to the ground
frozen.
Now and then,
I recognize it,
that sweet fragrance.
The one that's all you.
I don't know perfumes,
and all their brands and labels,
but I know you.
And I know when I sense you.
And all it takes is a stranger,
some random stranger,
wearing your fragrance,
to pass me by.
And I'm lost,
in a place that's all too familiar,
I have to take a moment,
to stop and close my eyes.
And maybe to everyone else,
it may seem like just a fleeting second in time,
but for me,
it's hours of knowing you
it's dates and dinners
and late evening walks
it's movies and make out sessions
and it's our aimless talks
it's looking into your eyes
a portal to your soul
it's hours of us talking about
what we'll be like when we grow old.
It's mornings of waking up with my skin on yours,
and nights of tangled limbs and deep kisses,
Breathing you in, in the am,
and letting go of only myself.
it's hours of living You,
and leaving me,
and in that moment, in that reverie,
for as long as the fragrance stays,
as the stranger walks past me,
I just want to be
with you.
The fragrance fills me,
fills every empty space you left when you walked away.
it mingles with my blood,
the same way you flowed through my veins,
before I lost you. Now I'm counting my gains,
they are few. They're nothing like you.
And then my lungs are exploding,
cause I can't hold onto it long,
just like I couldn't keep you,
I exhale.
and poof.
It's gone.

I'm laughing.

2 comments: