Sunday 19 June 2016

Happy Fathers Day


It's pouring outside.
the skies are finally emptying out all of their pent up emotion
and I couldn't be more grateful.
Every life that has been waiting patiently for this life giver to arrive
will look up to the clouds and thank their gods
and the stars, and their fate, and everything else they choose to believe is the cause of the rain
I'm thankful, glad,
but also mournful and sad
for I have too many memories tied up with the rains
too many memories of you, of your love, and your pain.
Missing you comes in waves
today I'm struggling to keep afloat
you were my lifeguard, my safe-boat
It feels like just yesterday we walked hand in hand in the rain,
your palm, bigger, stronger, protectively grasping mine
if there's anything I want back, it's our lost time
The skies are thundering, and lighting up
and along with the good memories of you and the rain
comes that one sorrowful night, you were defeated by pain
It's Father's day today, and while most of the world is posting wishes and photos
I'm writing a poem to let you know
Thing's aren't the same but we're doing okay
I still think about you every day
Mama's a fighter, she makes a perfect dad they say
I miss you, and right now I wish I could kiss you
and wish you a Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment